Excellent psychological suspense

Watching Edie - Camilla Way

Edie is 33 years old, alone and struggling to adapt to being a mother to her infant. Heather is a friend of hers from high school, who appears back in Edie’s life after 16 years of separation.  Heather longs to prove to Edie that she still belongs in her life and is willing to help Edie through this difficult time.  But the former relationship between Edie and Heather is a very complicated, dark one and will have a serious impact upon their current relationship.

The author does an excellent job of building up the suspense and fleshing out the characters, both today and in the past. She gives Heather the job of telling the story of the past while Edie is the present-day narrator. Both are haunted by the past, about which the author drops tantalizing crumbs until the final reveal.  I hesitate to say more about the plot of this book in fear of ruining the author’s careful and slow build up.  This is a better-than-usual psychological suspense thriller about obsession and deception and the strong desire to be loved.  It’s a gripping, intense story and one that I recommend.

I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads contest.