More of a character study than a suspenseful thriller

Listen to Me - Hannah Pittard

This one was a bit of a surprise to me. I expected it to be more of a thriller.  But instead I found an in-depth character study of a man, Mark, and his wife, Maggie.  Maggie has recently been mugged and has become paranoid and fearful.  She spends too much time on the internet reading stories of the evil men do to others to Mark, who doesn’t want to hear them.  She tries to make Mark see the evil in the world.  Mark is struggling with the changes that the mugging has brought into their lives. They set off on a trip to visit Mark’s parents and run into violent storms and they end up in an out-of-the-way hotel with no power.

The suspense is very slow building but the menace is felt throughout the book. I had chosen this book because I read that it was a Hitchcockian tale.  It is in the sense that the danger is implied and your imagination fills in what may happen but it isn’t a horror book.   I felt an edgy uneasiness as I read.  It’s not only what’s happening to this couple during the trip that gives chills – the storm, the dark roads, the menacing characters, the possible dangers around the corner – but it’s also all the turmoil and angst within them that kept me glued to the pages.  It’s a very quick read that even includes commentary on the perils of our technological world and how technology has impacted our relationships with each other.  There’s not a lot of action in this book.  It’s slow moving and reflective.  I enjoyed this surprising little book and do recommend it.

This book was given to me by the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.