A book that will touch your heart

Miller's Valley - Anna Quindlen

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book as I have always admired Ms. Quindlen’s work. This one didn’t disappoint in any way.  It’s the story of Mimi (Meems) Miller, her family, her friends and lovers and their lives in Miller Valley.  And it’s about that beautiful valley, a character in its own right, filled with ancestral homes and decades of memories, whose days are numbered.

Ms. Quindlen really knows how to get to the heart of her readers. I loved these characters, especially Mimi, and laughed and cried my way through this book.  No, this isn’t an action packed book and no, there are no shocking twists and turns (though there was quite a surprise towards the end with regard to Aunt Ruth).  It’s a simple book about life and family and love, but I think that simplicity is deceptive.  Ms. Quindlen is a master at weaving her story into your heart.  There are far too many books that, although I’ve enjoyed reading them, are forgotten within weeks after closing their pages.  However, I remember each and every Quindlen book that I’ve read, even though many, many years have passed since their reading, and I know “Miller’s Valley” will be one of those that will remain with me.  I feel like I should give Mimi a call to see how she’s doing as she’s now a part of my life.

Highly recommended.

This book was given to me by the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review.