Only half of his world is left

The Measure of Darkness - Liam Durcan

This was a very entertaining book about a man with “neglect syndrome”. The main character, Martin, wakes up from a coma to learn that he was in an accident and now suffers from “neglect syndrome” though he believes he’s fine.  He literally can’t perceive half of his world but he doesn’t understand that.   He’s shocked to learn that due to his disability, his architect license has been withdrawn and he can no longer work doing what he loves.

Although his estranged brother and his own two daughters are supportive, Martin becomes more and more paranoid. He has such a hard time accepting his disability and the changes in his life.  He relates his position to a Soviet architect who he had met once, Konstantin Melnikov.  But as he looks more and more into both his past and the life of Konstantin Melnikov, his broken mind becomes even more confused.  The author is a neurologist himself so this look at “neglect syndrome” rings true.

This is a profound literary book that will cause you to think about it long after the last page. While this man had a specific physical condition, how often do we also plunge ahead with our lives not knowing things about our own lives, things that we can’t see or refuse to see?  The author is an accomplished writer and the book is very well written.

This book was given to me by the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.