The Selected Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder

This is a wonderful collection of personal, business and fan letters written by Laura Ingalls Wilder.   Each letter is prefaced by a short, insightful editorial with some background information.  I’ve read everything written by Ms. Wilder and felt I knew much about her, but this book gave me an even better understanding of her life.

Included are letters to her husband, Almanzo, telling him of her travels, letters to her editors including her business dealings with them, heartfelt letters to fans and what I found to be the most interesting, letters to her daughter Rose as they collaborate on the writing of the Little House books. Some of the letters include stories that aren’t included in the Little House series that Laura sent to her daughter for possible use in Rose’s fictional novels.  I found it fascinating to read of Laura’s thoughts on what to include and how to edit the portions of the books she had sent to Rose for review.  There are even letters from Almanzo to Rose telling her some of his own stories and letters from Rose to Laura.

I hadn’t realized that the Little House series was the first multi-volume novel for children ever written. It has been a much loved series over the years and has entertained many children and adults.  I read the whole series to my own daughter and now she’s reading them to her son.

This is a comprehensive collection of letters and is very well edited. It was a pleasure to spend time with Ms. Wilder and her family once again.  Highly recommended for those who love Ms. Wilder’s work and for any history buff.

This book was given to me by the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.