Do we ever really know another person?

The Widow - Fiona Barton

This is an interesting look at a wife whose husband has been accused of kidnapping a little girl.  This book is advertised as a thriller but I don’t see it as that at all.  So many books these days are compared to “Gone Girl” or “The Girl on the Train” as if that is the only type of book readers want to read.  I think that type of comparison with this book is an unfair one and will lead readers to expect something else.  This book is fairly slow going with not many surprises.  It’s more of an in-depth look at a wife who is now questioning just what she knows about her husband and who he really is.

The book fluctuates between the time of the kidnapping and the period after the widow’s husband has died.  It’s told by different narrators – the widow herself, the husband, the reporter, the mother of the kidnapped child and the detective.  This is a psychological study of a woman who tries to stand by her husband in the face of horrendous accusations.  It’s also about the complex relationship between an accused, the police, the media and the victims.  The revealing of the characters’ secrets is beautifully crafted and well written.  The author does a nice job of keeping interest alive right up until the last page.  The book is very readable and flew by.  It’s a sad, dark story and pulled me in completely.

This book was given to me by the publisher through First to Read in return for an honest review.