An exquisitely written tragedy

Work Like Any Other: A Novel - Virginia A Reeves-Dunbar

This book had a huge impact on me. I was completely spellbound by this story of a man who I felt was unjustly accused of manslaughter.  Roscoe Martin was an electrician by trade but left his field to try to work on his wife’s family farm.  The work didn’t suit him and caused difficulties in his marriage.  So he did the only thing he knew how to do and that was to bring electricity to the farm.  And his efforts were successful until an electric company worker is killed when he finds Roscoe’s illegal electrical connection.  While there was nothing wrong with the connection that caused this death, all blame is placed on Roscoe since it was an illegal connection.

Not only is the death of the worker placed at Roscoe’s feet but everything that happened afterward is blamed on him, even what happens to his friend who helped him connect the electricity to the farm. Roscoe is sent to prison and his struggle with prison life, his wife’s abandonment and the loss of his son is one of the most heart wrenching and riveting stories I’ve ever read.  Ms. Reeves is a brilliant author and has written a book that rivals the work of John Steinbach.  I loved every word of it and suffered right along with Roscoe as all he worked for falls apart.  It’s a tragic story beautifully and insightfully told.  I’m very much looking forward to future work by this author and highly recommend this book.

This book was given to me by the publisher through Edleweiss in return for an honest review.