Amazing accomplishment by author

40 Rooms - Olga Grushin

I couldn't have been more impressed by this book. The author has written an amazing piece of literature. The book's basic premise is that the average person inhabits 40 rooms in their lifetime. This is the story of one woman's life in her 40 "rooms". It's full of such profound insight into life, while still exhibiting wild flights of imagination. The last chapter of this book is pure perfection.

As a young woman, the main character (only ever known as Mrs. Caldwell) dreams of immortality as a poet. As she moves through each room of her life, she makes certain decisions that lead her to live one life or another. As she lives the life she has chosen, there is the ghost of the life she might have lived always just out of sight. At one point in her life, she is told that when she reached a fork in life, she should choose the harder path; otherwise, the path of least resistance would be chosen for her. This is a profound look at the many ways we allow our dreams to slip through our fingers.

I found the author's inclusion of the significance of the number forty to be quite interesting. Noah's 40 days of rain, Moses' 40 years in the dessert, Jesus' 40 days of fasting. In the Bible, the number 40 generally symbolizes a period of testing, trial or probation.

This is one of the first books I've read in 2016 and the books ahead will have a hard act to follow. Most highly recommended.

This book was given to me by First to Read in return for an honest review.