Fun, entertaining book but skimmed parts

The Martian - Andy Weir

While this book had its entertaining moments, I was a bit disappointed in it. There were far too many scientific ramblings for me. The stranded astronaut, Mark, would encounter a problem and then come up with a solution that he would go into depth about. Then the next problem would come up with the next scientific solution. And on and on. Some of the explanations I understood but most I just skimmed. And wanting to skim any part of a book brings it down in my mind. I think you would have to be a science nerd, such as the author is, in order to really appreciate all of the solutions Mark comes up with. And I do have to admire the author’s skill in researching each of these solutions and coming up with them. I’ve read that he’s right on the mark scientifically.

On the plus side, I had to like Mark and care about what happened to him. He’s very personable and funny and had such a remarkable attitude for someone abandoned alone on Mars. I caught myself several times during the days I was reading this book grumbling about something minor and thinking, “Well, at least I haven’t been abandoned on Mars”. Can you imagine what that would be like? Mark’s attitude in a horrendous situation was quite inspiring.

As for entertainment of the kind that completely hooks you, this book was 5 stars. I had no idea what the ending would be and found the last third of the book to be very suspenseful and unpredictable. The only thing predictable about the book was that you knew Mark was going to keep running into problems that he would have to solve. As for the writing, well, I’m sure you knew when you picked up the book that it’s not a literary masterpiece. But it is a fun, entertaining read.

I read the paperback edition with Matt Damon’s photo on the cover so of course I pictured Matt Damon throughout the book. I most likely will have to watch this movie just to see how they handle those lengthy technical explanations.

This book was given to me by Blogging for Books in return for an honest review.