Beautifully told story about a tragic love

The Last September - Nina de Gramont

When I read the blurb on this book, I thought it might be a sappy, romantic novel and I wasn’t sure I should give it a try.  But something about it said “read me” and I’m glad I did.  The writing is excellent, the characters are well developed, the setting is beautifully described and I completely fell under its spell.

The love story is an intense and tragic one and the characters are human and flawed.  This author has a keen sense of human nature and a knack for realistically portraying her characters’ feelings.  It’s a quietly told story.  I loved the references to Emily Dickinson and Yeats scattered throughout the book.   Brett, the main character, says of her loved one in trying to make her mother understand her feelings that “He’s my Maud Gonne”, which said it all.   One of the characters, Eli, has a mental illness and I thought the author did an excellent job of showing the change in this young man and the effects of the illness on his family and friends and the fears that developed.

All in all, this was a beautifully told story that I enjoyed spending time with and didn’t want to let go of at the end.

I won this book in a LibraryThing Member Giveaway and am under no obligation to give a review but was asked by the publisher for an honest review, which I have given.