A book lover's feast

The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel - Nina George, Simon Pare

I’m not into typical romance novels but occasionally a love story will strike me as something I would like to spend some time with.  Plus, how could I resist a literary apothecary selling books to heal his customers from a bloating bookshop in the Seine?  I actually ended up liking this book much more than I had thought I would.

I had read that this novel is a charming one but I found it to be much more than charming.  I thought it had some very profound insights into love and loss and grief.  Monsieur Perdu has spent far too many years mourning a lost love and closing his heart to the world. Now we can journey with him in this book as he learns how to once again embrace life. It’s a heartwarming, soul stirring journey.

This book reminded me so much of “Chocolat” by Joanne Harris. Much as Vianne Rocher knows exactly which chocolate each customer needs, so too does Monsieur Perdu know exactly which book will heal his customers. There’s that same magic involved, along with the delightful characters, good food, smells and beauty of France, humorous touches, suspense and of course, the touching love story. They both even have the boat and those mystical mistral winds.

This is a sensuous, luxurious tale that will touch your heart.

I was given a copy of this book by Blogging for Books in return for an honest review.