Original, well-written novel

The Convictions of John Delahunt - Andrew   Hughes

I found this book to be a fascinating one and my interest never flagged throughout the book, which is saying something because you know from the start how the story is going to turn out. Even with that knowledge, there were so many shocking moments that I was completely riveted to the book.

This is a historical novel loosely based on an actual event. As the main character, John Delahunt, waits for the hangman to take him from his prison cell, he writes down his story, which begins with his love for Helen. He's a poor student and he's desperate to earn enough to bring his family out of the less-than-desirable living arrangements that they find themselves in. He's caught up in a nefarious agency called "The Castle" and hesitantly begins to work for them. The methods of this agency to find and prosecute criminals is quite horrifying and the affect on Delahunt as he continues his efforts to please his boss is chilling.

The story is a very original one and the author has done an excellent job in portraying the moral decline of the characters. It's a completely believable story and definitely an engrossing one. The author transported me to a place and time where innocents are the victims of cruel greed. A dark, atmospheric, wonderfully written novel that I highly recommend.

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.