Wannabe "Gone Girl"

The Winter Girl: A Novel - Matt Marinovich

This one really pulled me in at the beginning.  I thought, oh, this is going to be a fun read.  But unfortunately, the more I got into it, the less I liked it.

It’s one of those books that you keep saying “Are you kidding? Nobody would actually do this” but then I had to keep reading it even though it was a bit unbelievable.  At least at first.  But then this very twisted family just got sicker and sicker and I really didn’t care what happened to any of them.  I don’t always need to have likeable characters in a story but these people had absolutely nothing going for them.

There were a few shockers in it that I didn’t see coming though the ending was no surprise.  I didn’t think it was well written at all and found quite a few areas that needed some serious editing.  I was reading an advance copy so possibly those mistakes will be corrected in the final edition.   In thinking back on the story, it still doesn’t make much sense to me.  Sorry, but can’t recommend this one.  It’s a wannabe “Gone Girl” that doesn’t make it.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher through NetGalley in return for my honest review.