Never knew how much I would love hillbilly noir!

Bull Mountain - Brian Panowich

My of my, what a book!  I literally couldn’t put it down.   A story dealing with sins of the father and revenge, it has excellent, strong character development and a well-developed plot.  His writing reminds me of Dennis Lehane’s work.  It’s a gritty book but it has a true soul.

At first, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this one or not.  The description of hillbilly noir turned me off a bit.   I thought it might be more geared towards men than women and be a bit too violent.  Yes, there’s plenty of violence and some strong language but it’s not done in a sensational manner.   It’s necessary to the story.   Plus there’s a heart stopping love story that brings such richness to the novel.  And many women will relate and care strongly about the character of Marion.  I’m very glad I gave this one a chance.

While the author does jump around between characters and time quite a bit, I didn’t find it confusing.  He always included something in the beginning of each section that brought me back to that place and time.

This is a very compelling story that you won’t soon forget.  I’ll be keeping my eye out for this author’s next book.

I was given a copy of this book by First to Read in return for an honest review.