Thought-provoking dystopian novel

But the Angels Never Came - Eric James-Olson

What an intriguing book this author has written! It's a survivalist tale written during two periods of time. A storyteller, together with the group he's with, are traveling during a time after the destruction of the old world. He's telling a story to a young boy about a family and their efforts to survive during the time before the destruction of the world. Both time periods are futuristic to our present-day time.

Although the story is influenced by the biblical Abraham, there is no need to be familiar with the Bible to appreciate this story. This book can be appreciated on its own merits. In fact, although I am familiar with the Biblical references, the Abraham in this book reminded me more of Rick from "The Walking Dead" as he struggled to make hard daily decisions in order to keep his loved ones safe. There was also a reference made in the book that reminded me of an old "Twilight Zone" episode (nothing paranormal).

The horror in the book was done very tactfully and not done in a sensationalist manner. The book is a quick read as the writer knows how to pack a lot into a scene in few words. There was very good character development and building of suspense.

All in all, a very thought-provoking, entertaining dystopian novel.

I received a digital copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.