All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel

All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel - Anthony Doerr Because I've read so many, many books about Nazi Germany, I almost passed this one by. But due to all of the raving reviews I've read, I decided to give it a try. So glad that I did because I almost missed one of my favorite books of 2014. This book was pure heaven.

The short chapters make it a very quick read, with many of those chapters cliff hangers. I've read some complaints about how Doerr jumps around in time but I thought it was very clear as to when things were happening.

Usually in war-time novels, there are good guys and bad guys and you know which are which. But the lines were definitely blurred here and while you saw some of the characters doing terrible things, you also saw acts of kindness done by the same men. Doerr did a magnificent job of painting a picture of a young good-hearted German boy, his goals and dreams and how the changes in Germany during that time period effected him and the paths he took in his life.

This book is a literary delight and I believe it will be handed down through the generations as a true classic. I know I'll never forget this one.